京韵越韵汇鹏城 巾帼传奇润人心——原创越剧《黄道婆》深圳专场演出圆满成功

中国统一战线理论研究会基层统战工作理论辽宁研究基地召开工作会议

亚洲最大耙吸式挖泥船“浚广”轮在广州南沙入列启用

2026中国黄酒产业大会绍兴举行 意大利华侨品酒大师接棒非遗传承

中国消费市场正从“规模扩张”转向“创新驱动”

“五一”假期踏山海寻情怀 香港无处不“打卡”

China suspends 3 extradition treaties

发布时间:   来源: 粤港澳头条

Wang Wenbin, a spokesperson for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, speaks at a news conference on July 23, 2020. (Photo/Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

 

China announced on Tuesday the suspension of Hong Kong's extradition treaties with Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom as a reciprocal move following similar decisions made by those countries.

"The wrong action of Canada, Australia and the UK to politicize judicial cooperation with Hong Kong has seriously undermined the basis of their judicial cooperation," Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said at a regular news conference.

"China has decided that the HKSAR government will suspend agreements for the surrender of fugitive offenders between Hong Kong and Canada, Australia and the UK, as well as agreements on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters," Wang said.

He accused the three countries of having used the National Security Law for Hong Kong as an excuse to unilaterally suspend the agreements. Such a move constitutes gross interference in China's internal affairs and China firmly opposes that, he said.

The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government also expressed strong objections to the move on Tuesday, saying it smacks of political manipulation and double standards, according to a government news release.

The HKSAR government will, as always, uphold the principle of mutual assistance and reciprocity, and carry out law enforcement cooperation with other members of the international community in accordance with the law, it said.

On Tuesday, New Zealand announced it will suspend its extradition treaty with Hong Kong, making it the latest member of the "Five Eyes" intelligence-sharing alliance to act on Hong Kong-related issues.

The "Five Eyes" alliance comprises Australia, the United States, the UK, Canada and New Zealand. The US had previously decided to revoke Hong Kong's special trading status.

Wang said that China opposes New Zealand's move and reserved the right to respond. Any plan to suppress China will never prevail, he said.

"China urges New Zealand to immediately correct its mistake, and stop all forms of interference in Hong Kong affairs and other internal affairs of China, to avoid harming bilateral relations," he said.

New Zealand's unilateral suspension of the treaty using the pretext of the National Security Law for Hong Kong is for a "political purpose", an HKSAR government spokesperson said on Tuesday.

"Every country has laws and a duty to safeguard its national security and sovereignty. In New Zealand, examples include the Intelligence and Security Act and the Crimes Act 1961," said the spokesperson. New Zealand's decision will harm itself by making it "a haven for fugitives", the spokesperson said.

上一篇:The Closure of the Consulate Is Not Conductive to Solving the Sino-US Problems and the International
下一篇:Xi inspects PLA aviation university ahead of Army Day

首页   |   

Copyright © http://www.yhkmac.com 粤港澳头条 版权所有